Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Media Made Me Do It

Over the years, media influence has grown drastically thanks to the advances in technology. The media makes a lot of money with their advertising and what we are exposed to. Our society depends on information and communication to keep moving in the right direction and do our daily activities such as work, school, entertainment, personal relationships, and anything else that we have to do.
In my personal life mass media has a major impact on me. I come from a generation where technology is constantly changing; therefore I have to keep up. In this time and age the media is where we can be informed about the latest news. It is my daily routine to wake up in the morning and watch the news while I get ready for my day. This form of information is what keeps me updated with what’s going on in our society. The media has an authoritative role to give us news, entertainment and education therefore as a youth I put my trust in it.
As a teenager, it is part of my nature to be a victim in this technological society. Technology is used for everything. I use my cell phone as a main line of communication. I use it to talk to family and friends, text, go on the internet, and take pictures. To me my phone is also a computer and a camera. I’m not addicted to my phone, but without it I would be lost because that is where people know that they can get in contact with me.
Facebook is the main networking site to date. Almost everyone has a facebook, including me. At first I didn’t see the point of facebook, but it is a great way to keep in touch with friends, family, and even make new friends. I personally use facebook to keep in touch with my friends from elementary and high school, and to keep in contact with long distance relatives. Most people get addicted to facebook and have to check it all the time, remain on it for hours, and can’t go a day without it. I wouldn’t say I’m addicted. Facebook is important to me, but I can go up to a week without it without having withdrawal symptoms.
For me, television and magazines are my primary sources of media advertisement. In magazines I can find the latest fashion trends and the newest updates on celebrities. On television thousands of commercials are shown where they advertise products, fast food restaurants and clothing. Most of the time I am convinced to go out and buy what I see on TV, or believe what I read in the magazines. Different methods of propaganda is what makes us, the people feed into all the media. It’s important to us in the here and now, but we have to learn to have some type of self control because if we don’t media will take over our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment